- 2 TBSPs extra-virgin olive oil (plus more for greasing)
- 1 14-oz. block extra-firm tofu (drained)
- 2 14.5-oz. cans chickpea (rinsed + drained well)
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach (chopped)
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo (we recommend Original Vegenaise)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely grated)
- 4 TSPs chili powder
- 4 TSPs salt
- 2 cups cooked red or black quinoa (cooled)
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2 TBSPs cornstarch
1. Shred tofu using the large holes of a box grater. Firmly squeeze tofu in between paper towels to drain as much excess liquid as possible.
2. Use a fork or pastry cutter to mash/mix drained chickpeas. A little texture is OK, but you only want a few whole chickpeas remaining.
3. Heat 2 TBSPs oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Cook tofu and chickpeas, tossing occasionally, until chickpeas look slightly dried out and their skins are darkened, 10–12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, whisk almond butter and mayo in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in garlic, chili powder and salt. Add tofu-chickpea mixture and cooked quinoa and stir well to combine.
5. Stir flaxseed and 1/4 cup cold water in a small bowl. Let sit until a thick paste forms, about 1 minute. Add to tofu-chickpea mixture along with cornstarch and baby spinach and stir well to combine.
6. Using oiled hands, form mixture into 8–10 patties about ½" thick (about a scant ¾ cup each).
7. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once skillet is hot, add 1 TBSP oil and toast your corn cakes on both sides. Set aside.
8. Heat the same skillet you used earlier to medium heat. Once hot, add enough oil to form a thin layer on the bottom of your skillet, then add only as many burgers as will fit comfortably. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, flipping gently, and reducing heat if browning too quickly.
9. Let cool for 2-3 minutes before serving (they’ll firm up as they cool).
10. Place burgers on bottoms of toasted corn cakes. Pile with pickled onions, tomato, lettuce, cukes and chipotle mayo. Close with top corn cracker and serve.
DO AHEAD: Patties can be formed 3 days ahead. Tightly wrap each in plastic and chill.
Did you make this recipe? We get crazy excited when you make our recipes and we always love to see how they turn out. 😍😍😍
Tag @smartbitesnacks on Instagram and hashtag it #SmartbiteSnacks