FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $60
August 27, 2019
served on Fit Figure Multigrain Put on your plaid scarf, vest, and most basic sweater, because Starbucks’ coveted fall drink aka Pumpkin Spice Latte aka PSL is making a comeback today. And that means fall is unofficially here. We’re transitioning fully into autumn over here at Smartbite Snacks with this 6 ingredient pumpkin red lentil spread! It’s unbelievably easy to make (life is hard enough so we try to keep our recipes easy), smoky, hearty, filling, high in protein and full of flavor. I had to stop myself from eating all of it with a spoon before I even got to take the pictures! 😅 What else is inside this thing? A heaping dose of AUTUMNAL FLAVOR, that’s what!
This spread is everything and more. It’s:
〰 Creamy〰 Savory〰 Smoky〰 Spicy〰 Insanely flavorful〰 Perfect for fall
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Do not worry about peeling your Hokkaido pumpkin. Give it a proper rinse and using a sharp knife, cut pumpkin in half lengthwise. Then use a sharp spoon or ice cream scoop to scrape out all of the seeds (save those for roasting) and strings. Then cut Hokkaido pumpkin into smaller pieces while leaving skin on.
3. Brush pumpkin pieces with half a TBSP of the oil and roast in the oven until tender or until a fork easily pierces the pumpkin. This will take about half an hour. Don’t let the pumpkin get overdone in the oven. You still need it to be golden but not brown. Then remove pan from the oven, let the pumpkin cool for 10 minutes, then remove the skin.
4. While your pumpkin is baking, combine lentils and water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until lentils are soft and almost mushy about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
5. Then simply put pumpkin into a high-speed blender or food processor and add soaked cashews, cooked red lentils, chopped garlic, cayenne pepper, turmeric, salt and pepper and blend until creamy and smooth. If it has trouble blending, add a little water. But it shouldn't need it!
6. Place in a bowl, garnish with pepitas and walnuts, grab your fave snack and enjoy!
PRO TIP: If you don’t have time to soak the cashews or if you forget, you can quick soak the raw cashews in boiling water for about 10 minutes, but the cashews will no longer be raw and it won’t necessarily break down all the enzyme inhibitors present naturally in nuts. Slow soaking also increases their digestibility.
Did you make this recipe? We get crazy excited when you make our recipes and we always love to see how they turn out. Tag @smartbitesnacks on Instagram and hashtag it #SmartbiteSnacks
Comments will be approved before showing up.
April 22, 2020
December 22, 2019
It’s important in the life of a snacker to have a collection of condiments and spreads so vast you’ll never get bored. Or this is what we tell ourselves when we go hunting in the pantry for our precious salted vanilla peanut cacao spread. Everybody’s favorite ingredients—vanilla, peanuts and cacao—mixed together into a spread and there is nothing not to love about this fact.
This brilliant spread has the smooth, spreadable texture of peanut butter, but a rich, chocolaty flavor that we have to admit—tastes like frosting. The jar beside our keyboard as we speak won’t last too long. Homemade! Delicious! It whispers. Vegan! 100% Pure! We almost forgot one: Gluten-free! There’s a lot going on here. But this is a chocolate spread, people, made with powdered sugar. If you want health food, sub with maple syrup.
December 15, 2019
Lentils in the morning, lentils in the evening, lentils at suppertime. We stan lentils over here at Smartbite Snacks. What’s not to love? They're cheap, relatively quick-cooking, packed with protein, and cute as hell. And, to top it all off, they're an essential component of one of our all-time favorite food categories: The Soup Group.
The soup weather is here to stay for a while and nothing makes us crave soup like a little bit of rain and little bit of freezing temperatures. Red lentils are your mush-town friends when you crave that fall-apart texture when you’re making that thick, full of chunks and flavor coconut-y + mushroom-y lentil and tomato curry. Oh, hell yeah. It’s starting to smell like soup.
We don't put junk in our snacks and we don't send it either.
Be the first to get insider access to all things healthy + delish. We'll pop in in your inbox only a few times a month when there's something yummy to share.